Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Tarot Bags & Cloths

I have become addicted to making bags for my decks, and everyone elses! Stitched, knitted, crocheted... all colours, shapes and sizes...I have made heaps now. Other folk seem to like them too, so I have been having a lot of fun, making them to order for my online store, or to trade, usually for decks or books on my wishlist.

The first cloth I made was for my Deviant Moon deck, and I knitted a bag to go with it, I was really pleased with my efforts, I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist, which means I can be easily put off if something is not working out how I feel it should. With knitting though, I have been happily freeform knitting, shaping the bags as I go and really enjoying the whole process.

This bag is called The Hermit, it's made from a slightly rough weave outer cloth and lined with a toning cotton, it is actually a wrap more than a bag, with a pocket at one end for the cards and the rest of the wrap opens out to a cool cloth for 1-4 card readings. Shown here opened up, with The Tarot of the Cat People. The wrap is held closed with ribbons and clay beads.

The Hermit - Tarot Wrap



This next bag is a cotton double drawstring bag, fully lined with black muslin. I embroidered the pentacle freehand using space dyed machine threads. The ribbon ties are finished with Indian style sliver beads.

Purple Pentacle Tarot Bag

This is my Deviant Moon cloth, made from four different quilting cottons and backed in heavy indigo cotton fabric. The cloth measures about 24 inches square. I painted the Moon by hand on calico and sticthed it to the cloth.

Deviant Moon Tarot Cloth

Here is the cloth pictured with the bag that I knitted for my Deviant Moon deck... I love it, it fits the cloth too and is all soft and snuggly like a wee deck sleeping bag. It is often to be found under my pillow! I even added a wee label to the bag :)

Deviant Moon Tarot Bag

This is one of the first tarot bags I made, its made from a gorgeous shot thread silk velvet and hand appliqued and embroidered. This bag doesn't have one particular deck yet, it has held a few over the years!

Shot Velvet Embroidered Tarot Bag







No comments:

Post a Comment