Sunday, December 9, 2012

December Magic Spread!

I designed this spread a couple of weeks a go for a reading exchange circle I host on Aeclectic Tarot, and I thought I should probably share it here on my blog too.

December is a special month for most of us, whether we celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah, Yule or The Winter or Summer Solstice or any other holiday. It is also the last month of the year in the Gregorian Calendar. Because we are a huge tribe of many cultures and locations I wanted a spread to cover December for everyone. I couldn't find anything suitable so I created my brand new, shiny gift wrapped December Magic Spread.

December Magic Spread

***4***
*2***3*
***1***

1.What is the most important meaning that December holds for you this year

2.What will be your greatest gift to others this December

3.What is the greatest gift you will receive this December

4.What magic will the fairy on your tree bless you with this December


Shuffle your deck and take the bottom card and place it in position 1. This is the base card, the root of the tree. Deal the next first three cards using your usual method and place as shown.

Here I tried the spread with my Ludy Lescot Deck:


December Magic Spread with Ludy Lescot Tarot

1. Knight of Swords
2. Two of Wands
3. Two of Pentacle
4. Seven of Chalices 

The Knight of Swords as depicted in this deck is all about going out there and doing battle, with no fear of what may come at you out of the wild unknown forest. His horse is rearing in a stream, which could signify that emotional matters are being bypassed here, or simply ridden over. Can be a good thing sometimes. The wolf, well, he may represent an unseen danger which the rider is either clearly not seeing, or ignoring. On the other hand the wolf could be wanting to help the knight, and his howling may be an answering battle cry.... like yep I'm here, I know the ground well, lets do it!! I think I prefer the latter version, especially since watching the gorgeous Living with Wolves movie!!
Hmmmm so December means battles... makes sense...maybe they are inner battles, or perhaps it is finally time to face something I have been trying to avoid. That's works!

The Two of Wands are two tree's in the background with a cherub, cupid statue whose shadow can also be seen on the floor. The tree's and the column the woman is leaning against reminds me of the High Priestess... another 2, also the book is a traditional High Priestess symbol, although in this deck she has neither of these items in her card. The woman looks like she is holding on to her book like a dream, and looking towards the other book trying to decide which dream to choose. The cherub statue is reaching out to her but she can't see him... I wonder if this is my children...? I have a lot of indecisive thoughts over the past few months.... but also my solace has been in learning and in the written word. The letter is communication... my gift to the world is that... letting my loved ones know I care about them and miss them deeply.... and hoping my words can do the trick until I am able to be there in person. I look at old photo's and think back of those days when we all had Christmas together... but children grow and move, and families become far apart... there is some sadness here, yearning for what once was... and I guess that's what Christmas is about for many of us.

Seven of Chalices represents the greatest gift I will receive this December. This is a gorgeous card... A rather sad looking female sits by a mirror, she looks like she has just slid down into her current position. By her feet is a discarded letter with an open envelope so presumably a letter she has received.... bad news??? The mirror reflects her as a skeleton and walking towards the skeleton is a young man. I am not sure the mirror is showing a true reflection as the floor is different in the mirror, like a black and white checkerboard, also the room she sits in looks rather cell like with bars at the windows, whereas the scene in the mirror looks like a gorgeous Italian balcony.  The seven cups are all around the frame of the mirror. So the mirror could represent dreams or illusions or delusions... or it could be a prediction of the future or a warning against rotting away in your prison. As the mirror is behind her it could be her past.... perhaps the skeleton is dead love, and the guy is coming too late to make things better. Hmmmmmm.... that could be what the letter is about.
It seems to be a card dripping with emotion.... maybe I will receive love that I once wanted but no longer crave? Delusions? A prince to the rescue!!!

The Two of Pentacles shows a lone woman standing with her back to a stone balustrade high up on a balcony. It is winter as the tree's are bare and the vine twirling around the pillar to her right looks rather dead... loss of faith or love? There are two, five petaled roses carved into the stone balustrade which represent the pentacles. Roses are symbolic of many things, love, secrets, in alchemy the marriage of opposites....Two of course is a number of choice and balance and it also represents duality. Well opposites often balance each other out.
The lady doesn't look as if she knows what she wants... I empathise. I feel she is looking, searchingly, either within her own feelings, or has seen someone approaching from far below and she is not sure how to react or be with them. Although it is winter she seems oblivious to the cold and she is dressed up as if expecting someone. Ok I will settle for a special visitor to call up to my balcony and surprise me!! As it is wintery in the card, I may have to go to England to find my Christmas magic!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment